Permitted Paid Engagement visa

If you wish to apply for a visa in this category then our team at Hunter Stone Law will be able to guide and assist you throughout every step of the process. In order to qualify for this visa you would have to meet the requirement of the relevant section of the Immigration Rules. However we have attempted to simplify the requirements below.

You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you:

  • want to come to the UK to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system
  • are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • meet the other eligibility requirements

If granted this visa you can stay in the UK for up to 1 month.


You must prove that you:

  • are 18 or over
  • are visiting the UK for less than 1 month
  • will leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself
  • can pay for your return or onward journey
  • are not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

Documents you must provide

When you apply you must provide:

  • proof that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • a formal invitation from the organisation or authority you’ll be paid by
  • proof that the paid engagement relates to your expertise, qualifications and main job in your home country, eg a letter from your employer

You will also need to provide the following:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • 2 passport size colour photographs
  • You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

Additional documents

You must provide extra documents if you’re an established arts, entertainment or sporting professional. You can provide any of the following:

  • publications
  • publicity material
  • proof of awards
  • media coverage and reviews
  • proof of recent performances

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • be a student examiner or assessor
  • take part in selection panels for the education, arts or research organisation you’re invited by as a highly qualified academic
  • give lectures, as long as you’re not in a formal teaching role
  • examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from, by invitation of an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
  • provide advocacy in a particular area of law
  • take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting
  • take part in fashion modelling assignments

You can’t:

  • do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa
  • extend this visa or switch to another visa
  • live in the UK for extended periods
  • get public funds
  • study
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
  • get private medical treatment
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately