Entertainer Visitor visa

If you wish to apply for a visa in this category then our team at Hunter Stone Law will be able to guide and assist you throughout every step of the process. In order to qualify for this visa you would have to meet the requirement of the relevant section of the Immigration Rules. However we have attempted to simplify the requirements below.

You can apply for an Entertainer Visitor visa if you:

  • are an entertainer
  • are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • meet the other eligibility requirements

You must be coming to the UK to:

  • take part in 1 or more specific performances as an individual amateur entertainer or as an amateur group
  • perform at a major arts festival or cultural event on the permit-free festival list
  • take part in music competitions
  • be part of the technical or support staff at the same event as a performer on an Entertainer Visitor visa, eg a sound engineer, tour manager or press officer

You will only be able to accept payment during your stay:

  • for performing at an event on the permit-free festival list
  • as prize money for taking part in a music competition

You can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary worker Creative and sporting visa if you’re coming for other paid performances, eg a theatre tour.

You can stay in the UK for 6 months. You can also apply to change (‘switch’) to a Tier 5 Temporary worker Creative and sporting visa.

You can also apply for a long-term visit visa if you can prove you need to make repeat visits over a longer period. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.


You must prove that you:

  • are 18 or over
  • are visiting the UK for less than 6 months
  • will leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you
  • can pay for your return or onward journey
  • are not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

If you’re applying for a long-term visit visa

You must also prove that:

  • you have a frequent and ongoing need to come to the UK
  • the reason for your need to come to the UK is unlikely to change significantly while the visa is valid
  • you plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit

Documents you must provide

You must provide:

  • proof of your invitation to perform at an event
  • letters from any sponsors
  • proof you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa

You must also provide the following:

  • a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.
  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • a passport size colour photograph

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • perform at major festivals and cultural events on the permit-free festival list
  • take part in music competitions
  • take part in broadcasts or public appearances if you’re an internationally famous person
  • audition, as long as it’s not in front of an audience
  • take part in a charity show, as long as it’s not making a profit and you’re not getting paid

You can’t:

  • live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
  • work, including selling merchandise
  • get public funds
  • study
  • marry or register a civil partnership or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
  • get private medical treatment
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately