UK Ancestry visa

If you wish to apply for a visa in this category then our team at Hunter Stone Law will be able to guide and assist you throughout every step of the process. In order to qualify for this visa you would have to meet the requirement of the relevant section of the Immigration Rules. However we have attempted to simplify the requirements below.

You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:

  • are a Commonwealth citizen
  • are applying from outside the UK
  • are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
  • are able and planning to work in the UK
  • meet the other eligibility requirements


You must prove that you:

  • are 17 or over
  • have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself and any dependants
  • can and plan to work in the UK

Your ancestry

You must also show that you have a grandparent born in 1 of the following circumstances:

in the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland

on a British-registered ship or aircraft

You can claim ancestry if either you or the relevant parent:

  • •were adopted
  • were born within or outside marriage in the UK

You can’t claim UK ancestry through step-parents.

Documents you must provide

Ancestry documents

You’ll need to provide:

  • your full birth certificate
  • your marriage certificate or civil partnership registration document if your husband, wife or civil partner wants to join you
  • the full birth certificates of the parent and grandparent your ancestry claim is based on
  • marriage certificates for your parents and grandparents and legal adoption papers if you or your parents are adopted

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • a passport size colour photograph
  • bank statements to show you’ve enough money to support yourself
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

Applying outside the UK

You must apply online for a UK Ancestry visa.  You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

Extend your visa if you’re already in the U.K.

You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay. You should apply before your current visa expires.

You can also apply to settle in the UK permanently if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years on this visa.  Alternatively, you can extend your visa for a further 5 years.

Family members

Your family members (‘dependants’) must apply to join or remain with you in the UK if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:

  • your partner
  • your child under 18
  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

Dependants applying outside the UK

Your family members must apply online. They’ll need to have their fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of their application.

Dependants applying in the UK

Your dependants can apply to extend or switch their visas to stay with you if they’re already in the UK. They should apply using the dependant application form.  It’s best to send your dependant’s application at the same time as yours but they can apply at a later date.

Please note that members of your family can’t apply in the UK as your dependant if they hold a visitor visa.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • work
  • study
  • bring family members

You can’t:

  • change (‘switch’) into this visa if you’re already in the UK on another visa
  • get public funds