Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa

If you wish to apply for a visa in this category then our team at Hunter Stone Law will be able to guide and assist you throughout every step of the process. In order to qualify for this visa you would have to meet the requirement of the relevant section of the Immigration Rules. However we have attempted to simplify the requirements below.

You can apply for a Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa if you:

  • want to come to the UK for private medical care
  • are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • meet the other eligibility requirements 

If granted the visa then you can stay in the UK for 6 months.  You can apply to extend your visa, but you’ll need added proof from a registered UK doctor about your treatment and costs.


You must prove that you:

  • have a medical condition that needs private consultation or treatment in the UK
  • have made or paid for arrangements for consultations or treatment
  • have enough money to pay for your treatment, support yourself without using public funds and pay for your return or onward journey
  • will leave the UK once your treatment is completed, or when your visa expires
  • are not a danger to public health if you’re suffering from an infectious disease, eg leprosy
  • are not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • a passport size colour photograph
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your treatment, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

What your doctor must provide

You must also provide a letter on headed notepaper with a private practice or hospital address from a UK registered doctor that includes details about:

  • your illness or medical condition
  • what treatment you’re going to get
  • how many consultations there will be
  • how long the treatment is expected to take
  • how much the treatment will cost
  • what stage the treatment is at, for private consultations about minor illnesses

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances. 

If making the application from outside the UK then you must apply online for a Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa.  You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

If applying in the UK then you can only extend your visa if you’re already in the UK.

Extend your visa

You can apply to extend your visa if you:

  • have paid for any treatment you’ve already had in the UK
  • can and will pay further costs of your treatment
  • continue to meet the eligibility requirements

You must also get a medical practitioner or NHS consultant registered in the UK to provide:

  • proof of arrangements for your private medical consultation or treatment
  • an outline of how long your treatment is likely to take
  • details of the progress of your treatment, if it’s already started

Your Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa can be extended beyond 6 months. However extensions are considered on a case-by-case basis.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • have a consultation or be treated for an illness
  • donate an organ to someone having private medical care

You can’t:

  • live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
  • work, including selling products
  • get public funds
  • study
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
  • come to the UK to be a surrogate mother
  • donate an organ to someone undergoing NHS treatment - you should apply for a General Visitor visa instead
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately