General Visitor visa

If you wish to apply for a visa in this category then our team at Hunter Stone Law will be able to guide and assist you throughout every step of the process. In order to qualify for this visa you would have to meet the requirement of the relevant section of the Immigration Rules. However we have attempted to simplify the requirements below.

You can apply for a General Visitor visa if:

  • you want to visit the UK for leisure, eg as a tourist on holiday
  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

You can stay in the UK for up to 6 months with a General Visitor visa.  You can also apply for a long-term visit visa if you can prove you need to make repeat visits over a longer period. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.


You can apply for a General Visitor visa if you’re:

  • 18 or over
  • travelling to the UK for leisure (not work or study)
  • able to support yourself for the duration of your trip
  • not in transit to another country, except for Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
  • able to pay for your return or onward journey

If you’re applying for a long-term visit visa

You must also prove that:

  • you have a frequent and ongoing need to come to the UK
  • the reason for your need to come to the UK is unlikely to change significantly while the visa is valid
  • you plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • evidence of your ties back in your home country, such as family, employment, investment, etc…

 You will also need the following documents:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • 2 passport size colour photographs
  • You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.

What you can and can’t do

You can study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit.

 You can’t:

  • take paid or unpaid work
  • live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
  • get private medical treatment
  • get public funds