Family Visitor visa

If you wish to apply for a visa in this category then our team at Hunter Stone Law will be able to guide and assist you throughout every step of the process. In order to qualify for this visa you would have to meet the requirement of the relevant section of the Immigration Rules. However we have attempted to simplify the requirements below.

You can apply for a Family Visitor visa if:

  • you’re visiting a family member in the UK
  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements

If successful in your application you can stay in the UK for 6 months on a Family Visitor visa.

You can also apply for a long-term visit visa if you can prove you need to make repeat visits over a longer period.   You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.   You can’t switch to this type of visa from another visa.


You must prove that you:

  • are 18 or over
  • are visiting the UK for less than 6 months
  • will leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you
  • can pay for your return or onward journey
  • are not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

If you’re applying for a long-term visit visa

You must also prove that:

  • you have a frequent and ongoing need to come to the UK
  • the reason for your need to come to the UK is unlikely to change significantly while the visa is valid
  • you plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit

Your family in the UK

You must be able to show that you’re visiting one of the following family members in the UK:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • children
  • parents or siblings
  • grandparents or grandchildren
  • your spouse’s or civil partner’s siblings or parents
  • your child’s spouse or civil partner
  • step parents, step children or step siblings
  • a person you’ve been living with in a long-term relationship, as if you were married or in a civil partnership, for at least 2 years before the day you apply

Your family member must also be one of the following:

  • a British citizen
  • settled in the UK
  • granted asylum in the UK
  • under humanitarian protection in the UK

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • enough money to support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you plan to stay and your travel plans – we advise you not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa

You will also need to provide the following

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • 2 passport-sized colour photographs
  • a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

Evidence of Family documents

You must also provide proof of the family member you’re visiting in the UK, including:

  • a letter of invitation from them
  • evidence of their financial and employment circumstances, eg bank statements or payslips
  • evidence of their immigration circumstances in the UK showing they’re permanently settled or have asylum humanitarian status in the UK, eg a valid visa or immigration stamp in their passport
  • You must provide the original plus a photocopy of every document you provide.

What you can and can’t do 

You can study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit.

You can’t:

  • work or carry out any business
  • study for longer than 30 days
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or a civil partnership
  • come to the UK specifically for private medical treatment
  • change (‘switch’) to another visa
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately
  • get public funds