EEA family permit

If you wish to apply for a visa in this category then our team at Hunter Stone Law will be able to guide and assist you throughout every step of the process. In order to qualify for this visa you would have to meet the requirement of the relevant section of the Immigration Rules. However we have attempted to simplify the requirements below.

You can apply for an EEA family permit to accompany your family or partner to the UK (or join them after they’ve arrived) if:

  • the person you’ll be accompanying or joining is from the European Economic Area (EEA) but not the UK
  • you’re from outside the EEA

You can apply as either:

  • the wife, husband, civil or unmarried partner, child, grandchild, parent or grandparent of the person you’ll be joining in the UK
  • a dependent extended family member - eg unmarried partner, brother, sister or cousin

You can also apply for an EEA family permit if you’re the main carer of:

  • a British citizen
  • a financially self-sufficient child who is an EEA national
  • a child of an EEA national who was a worker in the UK

You should apply for a visa to join your family member instead if your family member is a British citizen (unless you’re their carer). 

You don’t need to apply if you hold a valid residence card or permanent residence card issued in the UK.

You must get your permit before travelling to the UK.

An EEA family permit is valid for six months. You can leave and enter the UK as many times as you need within that time.  You can stay for longer than 6 months if you’re related to an EEA national as their:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • child or grandchild, or their spouse or civil partner’s child or grandchild, and under 21 years old
  • dependent child or grandchild, or their spouse or civil partner’s child or grandchild, and over 21 years old
  • dependent parent or grandparent, or their spouse or civil partner’s parent or grandparent

Your EEA family member must be working, a jobseeker, self-employed, studying, self-sufficient or have a permanent right of residence.

Documents you must provide

You must provide:

  • your passport
  • proof of your relationship, eg a birth or marriage certificate
  • a letter from your partner or family in the UK declaring that they’re travelling with you or that you’re coming to stay with them in the UK
  • your partner or family member’s passport or ID card
  • You must provide proof that you’re financially dependant on your family member in the UK if you’re applying as their dependent extended family member.