Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa - £200,000 investment funds

If you wish to apply for a visa in this category then our team at Hunter Stone Law will be able to guide and assist you throughout every step of the process. In order to qualify for this visa you would have to meet the requirement of the relevant section of the Immigration Rules. However we have attempted to simplify the requirements below.

You can apply for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) if you have access to £200,000 in investment funds and you can prove that the money is either:

  • Your own
  • Made available to you by other people (‘third parties’) - eg a husband, wife, partner or investor
  • In a joint account with your spouse or partner but only if they aren’t applying for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa

You can use funds invested in a business that you’ve set up in the UK while under a different immigration category - the funds will need to have been invested no earlier than 12 months before your Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) application.

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • evidence of the investment funds available to you
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your stay
  • proof that you meet the English language requirement

You will also need to provide the following:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • a passport size colour photograph
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

You may, under certain circumstances, need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

Evidence of investment funds

You must provide the following evidence to show you have access to the appropriate investment funds: 

  • an official letter from each financial institution 
holding the funds
  • for money held in the UK only, a recent personal bank or building society statement from the UK financial institution holding the funds, which confirms the amount of money available to you or your entrepreneurial team
  • for money provided by a venture capital firm, seed funding competition or UK government department, a recent letter from an accountant confirming the amount of money made available to you or your business

Funding from a third party

You must also provide the following evidence if any third parties have contributed funds toward your application:

  • confirmation they’ve made the money available for you to invest in a UK business
  • a letter from a legal representative (independent from those providing funds) confirming the signatures on the declaration are valid

Evidence that you can support yourself

You must prove that you have enough personal savings to support yourself while you’re in the UK.

How you prove this depends on where you’re making your application from:

•outside the UK - you’ll need £3,310

•in the UK - you’ll need £945

Your personal savings must have been in your bank account for 90 consecutive days before you apply.

You can’t use either of the following to support yourself:

  • money from your investment funds
  • money earned while working in the UK illegally

Applying from outside the UK

You must apply online for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa – we will assist you in preparing the documents, checking your application to ensure you have every chance of success.

Apply in the UK/Extend your visa in the UK

You can only extend your existing visa or switch to this visa if you’re already in the UK.  You may be able to extend your Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.  You must apply before your current visa expires. You must be in the UK to extend your visa.

You can apply to extend your visa if you:

  • meet the eligibility requirements
  • registered as a director or as self-employed no more than 6 months after the date you were given permission to stay in the UK under a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa
  • can prove you’ve been self-employed or working as a director of a business 3 months before you apply
  • created at least 2 full time jobs that have existed for at least 12 months

You must have invested into 1 or more UK businesses either:

  • £200,000 in cash
  • £50,000 in cash if your initial application was based on having funds from an approved funding source


You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Switch to this visa

You may be able to switch to a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.  Once again you should apply before your current visa expires.

You can apply to switch to this visa if you meet the eligibility requirements and you’re already in the UK under one of the following categories:

  • Tier 1 (General)
  • Tier 1 (Investor) 

  • Tier 1 (Post-study work) 

  • Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur) 

  • business person 

  • innovator 

  • Highly Skilled Migrant Programme 

  • work permit holder 

  • self-employed lawyer 

  • writer, composer or artist 

  • investor 

  • International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science & Engineering Graduate Scheme) 

  • Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme 

  • Tier 2 

  • prospective entrepreneur 

You can also switch from one of the following categories: 

  • Tier 4 

  • student 

  • student re-sitting an examination 

  • student nurse 

  • student writing up a thesis 

  • postgraduate doctor or dentist 
if you have specific types of funding

It should be noted that if you have had leave in this category in the 12 months before you apply, then you must meet the extension criteria, not the switching criteria.

Family members

Your family members (‘dependants’) can come with you when you come to the UK on this visa. Your family members must have a visa if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:

  • your partner
  • your child under 18
  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

Savings to prove you can support your dependants

You must show that your dependants can be supported while they’re in the UK. Each dependant must have a certain amount of money available to them - this is in addition to the £945 you must have to support yourself.

The amount depends on your circumstances. You must have £1,890 for each dependant if you’re applying from outside the UK or have been in the UK for less than 12 months. If you’ve been in the UK for more than 12 months, you must have £630 for each dependant.  In addition you must have proof you have the money, and that it’s been in your bank account or your dependant’s bank account for at least 90 days before you or they apply.